21 Day Fix

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Momentum

I know what it's like to feel defeated. I know what it's like to give it your all, 100% and fail. I know what it's like to want it so bad you're willing to do almost anything to get there, only to give up a short time after starting. I know exactly what it's like to say to yourself "this time, it's going to be different"...

I'm pretty sure we've ALL been there. Whether we start off with this "let's get 'em" mindset in regards to a new hobby, getting our homes and selves organized, a new job, a fitness program or even something as simple as making sure you're cooking more at home. Failure is a part of life.

So what exactly keeps us from keeping that momentum that we started off with? What conversations do we have in our heads that keep us from attaining the goals we set to achieve?

Some might say that we become too enthusiastic at the start and to keep that enthusiasm going is too difficult to maintain. For me, it's usually a lack of results that put my momentum to a halt.

For example, I told myself that I was going to get on a cleaning schedule in order to keep my house tidy. On Mondays, I will dust. Tuesdays I will mop, Wednesdays I'll do all the bathrooms, etc. (you get the idea). I am the mother of a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Who was I kidding? On Mondays I would dust. Only to have the 2 year old smear peanut butter all over the glass entertainment center on Tuesday. On Tuesday I would mop. Only to have it rain Tuesday afternoon and see muddy puppy prints all over my floors. Now I'm doing all this work, twice! How is this even close to being efficient or meeting my goal of keeping a clean home???

I was the same way with my health and fitness goals. "This time it's going to be different!" I would say. "I am going to get back to my before baby size in no time!" "This program, this is the one, it's going to be the one that finally works for me!". I'd start a new regime at the gym. Eager and excited to get this new plan under attack. I'd show up early for my fitness class, get my weights and my favorite spot in the studio and get to work!

I'd log everything that I ate, my weight for the day, what I did for exercise and estimate how many calories I burned. I would do this for two years... Sure I lost a few pounds. Sure my clothes got a little bigger. But for the amount of work I was doing the return on investment was nil.  I became discouraged. My favorite fitness class became boring. I had even resigned to the fact that maybe I would never be the size I was before the kids. And I was working so hard, for what was beginning to seem like nothing.  Eventually those 5 days a week at the gym became 2, if any. Logging my food was becoming a hassle. Those "diet" shakes? yea, I did those too and I was starving half the time. I was not seeing results fast enough. I quit. I gave up. I lost my momentum.

But I now have my momentum back and it's slowly picking up speed. The change? I was able to see results from my new health and fitness program almost immediately. Sure, whenever you start a new program, you see results because it's new to your body. And that's exactly what I said to myself. Not expecting to continue to see changes. Then I told myself, "oh, I plateau so quickly, probably after 21 days my body won't react to the fitness and eating plan. I'll need to switch it up, again!". Nope. Not this time. "I'm going to get bored with this workout, the same thing, over and over" Wrong again. "The exercises are going to start to get too easy for me".  Ha ha! I'll be sure to let you know if that ever happens!

And that is why I get so excited about 21 Day Fix and Beachbody. Never in my life have I had this kind of momentum with a fitness program for this long. And I can tell you I have never seen results with such little work in my life. Before my kids, I would spend an hour (at least) in the gym, 7 days a week doing the same things every day. Then I would walk my dog for at least a half hour every single day. In order to maintain my size I would barely consume 1200 calories daily.

 Now I workout for half an hour every day. Each daily workout is different. From cardio to yoga to strength training. I check in with my Challenge group and stay accountable. I drink my Shakeology once a day and I eat. And I eat. And I eat! And I am still seeing results every day. Is every day perfect? No. Have I eaten somethings maybe I shouldn't have from time to time? Yes. But my momentum along with my consistency has and continues to pay of.

So what's next? I'm going to keep my momentum going by having greater goals. My next program is going to be P90X3. Still only a half hour of daily exercise. Still drink my Shakeology and continue to eat healthy and clean.

Do you need some help to get your momentum going? Would you like to achieve your goals alongside someone that knows your struggle? Let me be that person that helps you keep from giving up!

I'm not the coach standing on the sidelines, telling you what needs to be done. I'm the one that's beside you, giving it my all, so you can too.




www.facebook.com/beachbodywithmelinda








2 comments:

  1. Thanks Melinda. This is great advice and a good reminder to be like the Energize bunny. Just keep going, and going! I'm all in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not say it often enough, but I am so proud of you for accomplishing your initial goal of getting back to the "before babies" weight! You look amazing! I can't wait to see what you can do on P90X3. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete